Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Chapter 2:

on wednesday, erick walked me from class to class. often at his own expense- he was late to class. everytime i saw him he would beam. this guy not only was the second strangest human ive ever met, but he really likes me. he would think about how "beautiful camy is", and my "wonderful personality". whatever.but jakob wasnt there.actually, jakob wasnt there all week. so the week slowly progressed, the same as wednesday.

---------------------------------------
the next friday, i knew what to expect: erick would walk me to my classes, we would sit at the table with his friends at lunch - even though his friends wanted to admire me from further away- and i would leave the school parking lot shaking my head at another note from erick.

during second hour-history (which i exceled at more then any of my other classes, and i dont know why...) i got called down to the office.
on my way there, i felt someone watching me. i turned around - though i knew no one was there- and i saw the bottom half of a face not two inches from my own. i stepped back and remembered that smell. oh no! i thought - except, i didnt think that. it was ericks voice inside my head - my head that was inches from jakes.
"hey jake." i said, natrally.
"hey, ericks coming, you better get to the office."
"yea." i said, turning. jake started to follow. i needed to know how and why he kept his voice so low, so quiet. "jake? why do you keep your voice down all the time?"
"do you want me to be louder?" he asked, genuinly confunded.
"it doesnt matter. i just wanted to know. it seems to come so, natrally for you."
"your pretty good at it yourself." i relized he was asking me why i did that to my voice.
"well this is my normal voice. i love to talk like this."
"then why dont you all the time?"
"because most people cant hear me when im like this. why do you talk like this?"
"i know you can hear me."
"hmm." i said, thinking hard. did he know what i was? was he one himself? "what are you thinking?"
"ive got to go. well - i should go, but i wont. youll understand tomarrow."we were at the door to the office. he looked torn, his hand half raised, but like he was holding himself back. so i decided to help him: i reached up and took his hand. he smiled a confuzed smile and me and squeezed my hand.
i relized how fast we got here- faster then a human could travel easily. yet he kept his breath even, walked at a 'normal' pace.
"cami- oh. i see. hes your boyfriend. isnt he. ill leave you two alone then." i just then looked at his mind and saw what he saw: my face, inches from this guy, holding his hand, and -from his veiw- wanting to kiss.
none of that was untrue. i relized how- normal- i could be around jake. i could tell he was going to keep himself from kissing me, but he wanted to. i also relized how close i had gotten to him, uncontiously.
erick walked back around the corner and started running. he was thinking about how stupid he had to be to think that camilla price would ever date him.
i turned around and walked into the office. the man behind the desk - mr. gaman- was trying no to think about my looks this time.quickly i turned to jake.
"want permission to ditch school?" i offered.he grinned evilly.
"yea." so i turned around and put on a desprate yet seductive face and looked straight at mr. gaman. "mr. gaman?" i pleaded, suggestingly. "can jakob here bring me home? im feeling just awful."poor mr. gaman, he was struck full blast with this.
"uh-huh" he nodded, his mouth open. he grabbed a pad of papers and wrote us passes. then we left.
jakes skin goes well with the maroon interior of my truck. he drives just like i do, and neither of us care. just then, at that moment, i relized how mysterious he was, and how i wanted to kiss him. i couldnt though, not if i wanted to keep him from both physical and mental pain.
"turn right here." i said, giving him the directions to my house. but he didnt turn. he kept going straight. "jake, the turn was back there. were are we going?"
"to the place i was going to bring you tomarrow."
"weres that? does anyone else know were we're going?" i was starting to get a mix of anger and worry.
"its not far. just a few miles. no, no one else knows were we're going. but someone does expect me somewere in a few hours, and your parents will worry when you dont come home."so i sat quietly, waiting to get were ever we were going. a few hours, i thought to myself, thats not near enough time for the venom to kick in. a few days of mental confusion first... STOP! i told myself. theres no way i could bite him."stop worrying camilla. theres no reason to worry for me. just worry for yourself." the last part he said so quietly i wasnt sure i heard it.
"why do you think im worrying for you? and why should i worry for myself?" i demanded.
"do you promise not to call me crazy when you hear?"
"yes, i promise." i was becoming impatient.
"worry for yourself, because your human. and not everyone around you is." i froze.
"who isnt human?" other then myself, but lets not give that away.it took him a few minutes to answer. when he did, it was in a quiet voice, even for myself.
"me."

No comments: